Wind: average 225 at 10.5; 7 to 12, gust 14 
Current: flood North Hill 14:20
Start/Finish: near Horseshoe
Course: 2 laps; 1.2 nm at 220
Race Length: 4.75 nm
Crew: Adam, Brian, Dan & RW

I screwed up the start & we were over early.  In our recovery, I initially worked our way out on port for a clear lane, then continued out on starboard towards North Dumpling and the North Hill Channel.  Jolly Mon also recovering from a starting incident eventually passed us to weather.  Far out ahead was Zallee, Merganser, Avara and Gimlet.  San Souci had a good start, yet went directly to port (right side of course).

We rounded the windward mark just ahead of Sans Souci, yet following the set they passed us to windward to pull ahead for a substantial lead by the leeward mark.  Our second beat was similar to the first, but with San Souci rounding safely ahead. Merganser had a good night finishing fourth to our fifth. Having sailed a similar course, it is a mystery to me how Jolly Mon pulled so far ahead to finish second.

I believe sailing out to the deep water north of the Dumpling like we did is a good thing, and it may have paid to go farther south into even deeper water prior to tacking to port.  Though prior to tacking I took note of the waves and decided to tack as the water was smoother (maybe less current) farther south, and I was also worried about a wind decrease closer to North Dumpling.

Our boat speed seemed to be down for an unknown reason.
On the first long starboard to windward we were lifted on an average of 4 degrees by the flood, yet that diminished to less than one degree on the subsequent long starboard of the second beat. 
In the future we need to tightly cover Sans Souci tightly on the downwind when they are ahead & we are able.  

Go to top