Wind: NW at 9 kts, average 8.8 (4 to 14 kts)
Temp: 80 F, Baro: 29.82
Current: last of ebb, flood North Hill 19:40
Course: sf-DM-W-s/f, Race Length: 3.6 nm
Crew: Brian, Adam, Dan & RW

I made two major mistakes, one was to choose the #1 heavy & leave #1 light genoa on the dock. Second was the sailing west of North Dumpling.

We had had frontal passage around 1530, and the winds picked up to 16 gusting to 20, which the Groton METAR continued reporting till 1656. Thinking we would have conditions similar to two weeks ago, I chose the hank on the heavy & left the #1 light on the dock. Shortly thereafter on the motor out, we realized, it was a mistake.

The RC selected a short windward leg to a drop-mark near Bluff Point & a long downwind to West Harbor.  We had a so-so start and bailed to port soon as we were assured of clearing the committee boat.  We rounded the mark in fourth behind Zallee, Jolly Mon & Cosmic, just ahead of Sans Souci.

I initially kept us high of the boats ahead compensating for the current rather than be set, then decided to sail west of North Dumpling.   Most of the fleet sailed east of ND through the Dumplings’ channel and west of South Dumpling.  We appeared to be doing very well till we came abreast ND, there the leaders pulled away round SD well ahead.

Meanwhile Sans Souci after trailing us for a few minutes bore off towards Flat Hammock, and as we rounded South Dumpling saw our mistake as Sans Souci began screaming up the east shore of Flat Hammock to round in third well of us. 

On the upwind back to the finish, most of the fleet tacked around the FH R2 to sail along the southern edge of Dumplings channel for their westing.

I chose to go straight across for the Connecticut shore thinking to take advantage of the new flood there, though overstood to do so.  There we found a tenth of a knot in our favor, yet far too late to be of an advantage. 

link to
chart
l
ink to results

Go to top