Crew: Brian, Pat, Bob & RW
Winds: SE-S at 5 to 8 kts, (short peak at 14)
Current: ebb - North Hill 1230
Start time: 1155
Start/Finish: SW of Horseshoe Reef
Course: s/f-DM-s/f, 3 laps, Distance: 9.0 nm, DM east of North Dumpling
Shrouds: at Base
We chose to start at the committee boat, to be windward of the class and crossed about thirty seconds late. Our tacks, sets, jibes, douses & roundings were good. Boat speed was down at times which I contributed to the chop and fluky wind. We finished last, our worst showing in sometime, not even in the hunt
Perplexed and grasping at straws for an explanation- looking at the GPS chart, I find we spent a preponderance of the time west of the rhumbline. In retrospect, I believe the wind may have been stronger on the eastern side of the rhumbline.
Link to chart
Watch Hill YC – Fuller Regatta; Saturday, 08/08/09
Crew: Brian, Seth, Bob & RW
Winds: NW, W to SW at 4 to 12 kts
Current: flood – Napatree Point 0700, ebb 1300
Start time: 1050, finish 1515
Start/Finish: Off the beach of the Ocean House – Watch Hill, RI
Course: 195 degrees at 3.5 nm, 2 laps (shortened from 3)
Distance 14 nm
The various wind forecasts were not very encouraging, 5 to 10 at best. Though it was to be a beautiful clear day, and with a cool breeze out of the north a possibility of a so-wester building in the afternoon. We left the dock at 0830 for a posted 1030 start motoring against the flood for nearly 2 hours arriving with little time to spare. Picking up the scratch sheet from the chase boat, we pieced together the start sequence. There were only two classes, both spinnaker (A & B), a small turnout typical of the WHYC events and we were to be the last to start.
Crew: Seth, Erin, Bob & RW
Winds: SW at 5 to 12 kts
Current: ebb - North Hill 1442
Start time: 1220
Start/Finish: just north of Vixen
Course: s/f-E-I-V-E-s/f, Distance: 13.4 nm
Shrouds: Base +3, +5, +3
It was showery on the drive to Noank, yet by the time we arrived the rain had subsided leaving a low ceiling & some fog. The motor over to Vixen Ledge with a flood in accompaniment was uneventful.
With six classes our class was next to last starting at 1120. In about 8 kts of wind, we got a very good start most windward right at the committee boat. Bandit(J24), directly on our stern was unable to pull up to windward and shortly bailed out on port for clear air, a move we also were forced to do a couple minutes later due to the header from Salud after she pulled out from our alee to directly ahead. Back on starboard and nearing Seaflower, Salud tacked to port for the better part of five minutes, tacking back well to our windward. We had no difficulty weathering Seaflower (yet lost some current lift in its lee), so continued on starboard till closing on fog shrouded North Hill (Fishers Island). As some boats sounded an occasional fog horn, instrument & compass awareness was paramount. Lacking the usual visual cues, I was unaware of the header we sailed into for three minutes or so short of North Hill; a fact I became aware of post-race studying the chart. Had we tacked at 1245, we’d have picked up about two minutes.
I would especially l like express my appreciation and graditude to our support crew in their efforts to help raise money for Southeastern Connecticut Hospice.
Crew: Seth, Megan, Bob & RW
Winds: SW at 8 to 16 kts
Current: flood - North Hill 1410
Start time: 1100 & 1325
Start/Finish: between GLP & Horseshoe
Course: s/f-DM-s/f, Distance: 5.6 & 8 nm
Shrouds: Base +3, +5, +3
The first race was a two lapper to a drop mark 1.4 nm southwest at 265 degrees. As Class 4, we were the fourth to start following the faster Classes 1 thru 3. The Shields were Class 5, next came the Ensigns on the same course but with a windward mark set at 1.0 nm.
Starting in a cool steady 12 knots, rather than get swallowed in the starboard parade, I elected to port from near the pin, even if it meant ducking most if not all of the fleet. Just prior the gun, the knotmeter quit a distraction we did our best to ignore. Once we were well clear of the line, and up to speed Seth was able to clear it with a few sweeps of the kelp stick. We seemed to be doing quite well against the larger faster boats paralleling us well to windward, so consolidated on starboard till clear for all sterns. On starboard and in spite of the ebb the waves and chop were significant for our small boat. Once we tacked back to port for a long port towards the layline, the seas were much more tolerable. We had a good set and a great run downwind in a fraction of the time spent on the beat. The wind direction appeared steady yet stronger on the south side of the course so we opted for the starboard leeward gate and extended to near the port layline, followed by a more comfortable long port to near the final layline at the mark and another fast run to the finish. As usual we were the last boat to finish yet corrected to a 2nd place.
Another full day on the water Sunday…. SeTherin left the slip at 0830, pulled back in at 1910 hours. We made the trip over to Niantic in one & a-half hours with assistance of the flood- boat speed average five kts with six over the ground. This was our first visit to Niantic Bay and for the most part, we were pleased with the racing in spite of our lack luster showing, due in part to a floating windward mark, causing the first race (only one race was planned initially) to be thrown out.