ECSA Results

Sunday, 09/12/10
Crew: Brian, Seth, Bob & RW
Winds: ENE to E, avg 14 kts, gusts low 20’s, 24 max, lulls 8
Weather: overcast; Temp 53 F, Baro 30.11 to 30.07
Current: flooding, ebb - North Hill 1407
Start/Finish: offshore of Vixen
Start time: 1120; Finish: 1428
Elapsed Time: 187 minutes
Course: s/f-IR-SE-SL-IR-s/f; Distance: 14.25 nm
Shrouds: +5,+7,+4

 

The RC setup a half-mile south of Vixen where the flood was quite strong, yet positioned for a well for an upwind to Intrepid Rock, 2.2 nm east. We were in Class II, starting fifth at 1120.  Fortunately the cooler wind, 12 kts feeling more like 14, was with the tide.

Electing to start near the RC as possible, we were on the line at the gun with Rusty Nail & Plain Vanilla to our starboard, Wunder Dog, Salud and the rest of the class down the line towards the pin. We took a short tack of Rusty Nail & Plain Vanilla’s sterns for a clear lane, to position for the longest tack possible to the beach. As a result, we appeared to be lifted somewhat compared to the boats ahead of us. Four tacks along the shore, including a starboard north of Horseshoe (which helped immensely) and another ducking into the beach at Groton Long Beach took us to Intrepid  (specifically avoiding a starboard offshore near IR against the current).

A Rough, Sad Day...

 

Saturday, 09/04/10
Crew: Brian, Seth, Bob & RW
Winds: WSW, avg 22 kts, gusts high 20’s, 33 max, lulls 10
Weather: Clear & Sunny, Temp 78 F, Baro 29.58
Current: ebbing, flood - North Hill 1410
Start/Finish: West Harbor entrance
Start time: 1155; Finish: 1439
Elapsed Time: 164 minutes
Course: Course #4, s/f-(C5)-(N2W)-(N16)-Vixen (N28)-Silver Eel (R2)-NH(R2)-s/f;
Distance: 13.0 nm
Shrouds: +5,+7,+4

Arriving at Fishers after a wet motor over from Noank with hour & a half till our class start, we decided to anchor in the lee of Flat Hammock. Resting there quite comfortable, we listened to radio traffic between the RC & boats checking in/withdrawing and the chase-boat assessing the conditions on the backside of the island. They were starting in 10-minute intervals and we were to be the fifth class to go. Once it became evident an inside course & a downwind start were in the offing, we decided at 1125 to check in and began preparing the boat. If it were an upwind start, I would have declined or flood against this wind probably not have ventured out.

 65th Ram Island YC 'Around the Island Regatta'
Crew: Brian, Seth, Bob & RW
Winds: ESE 13 kts, gusts high teens 
Weather: Overcast, mist/drizzle, occasional showers, Temp 69 F
Current: ebb - North Hill 0955, 1020 Race Point
Start time: 1040
Start/Finish: Groton Long Point / Ram Island 
Course: counter-clockwise Fishers Island; Distance: approximately 14.5 nm 
Shrouds: +4,+5,+4; #1 Heavy Genoa


While motoring out in the rain, we monitored over the VHF, the RC’s announcement of Course 2 for the PHRF fleet. In assessing the conditions, we pointed the bow numerous times at Race Point to find the TWA averaging between 130 & 140 degrees on port, substantiating our hunch for starting with the spinnaker ‘reacher’ and an offshore course to Race Point.

We had an excellent start near the committee boat with most of the fleet down at the pin. Checkered Demon nearer the boat was over early and peeled around the front for a re-start. As we headed out for a point roughly halfway between North Hill & Seaflower, it seemed the faster spinnaker classes (that had started earlier now approaching or abeam NH) were slowed by the current flowing north along Fishers west shore.  With my back to the island, concentrating on steering, I could not see what was going on with the rest of the boats in our class. Seth said Abrabesque put their chute up shortly after the start, then the rest of the class begining with Plain Vanilla started popping theirs in the vicinity of North Hill, though they may not have benefited as much from the wind that close to shore.

Saturday - 08/14/10
Crew: Brian, Seth, Bob & RW
Winds: SE, avg 4.2 kts, peak 6.5 kts
Weather: Clear, Temp 85 F
Current: flood – 0832 Ram Island
Start time: 1059, finish 1500
Start/Finish: just SE of Stonington Harbor
Course: s/f–G3-N-I–R-s/f; Distance: 11.2 nm
Shrouds: Base

Crossing line (in 3 kts of wind) next to the RC boat at the gun uncontested, with most of the class down near the pin, I later realized (if not less current there) their course to windward took them into the shelter of the breakwater sooner than ours.    We were neck and neck with Salud to the breakwater, where they abeam our windward pulled ahead. 

Saturday, July 17, 2010

SeTherin - First in Class

Crew: Brian, Seth, Bob & RW
Race 1
Winds: WSW (255), avg 9 kts, gusts 14, lulls 3
Weather: Hazy, Temp 85 F; Current: flood - North Hill 1015
Start/Finish: just West of Horseshoe
Course: s/f–WM–LM-s/f *2; Distance: 5.8 nm
Shrouds: +2,+3,+2

We motored out on the flood in little wind; already sweating, and lathered up with sun-block in hopes that the afternoon heat would produce a better breeze than forecast.

The RC positioned west of Horseshoe, as the non-spinnaker RC setup in the traditional Mudhead starting area east of the reef.  Following a slight delay re-positioning the line for the wind, the race got underway at 11:10.   I elected to start on port from the pin and duck boats as necessary to insure a clear lane when tacking back to starboard. 

This worked well and we seemed hold our own all the way the windward mark, with our competition exiting as we approached on port.  The approach was mistakenly close, with too little time on the layline resulting in a late set after the rounding. 

A jibe shortly after the set took us shoreward clear of the rhumbline parade and maybe into less adverse current once we jibed back to starboard.  We chose the left gate as it was the closest and there appeared to be more pressure on the upwind right side of the course than offshore to the left.  After a smooth douse & rounding, we made our second mistake by not recognizing a header as soon as we should have.  Our second rounding of the windward mark was tight again yet we were all prepared this time with a good set and subsequent jibe for shore.  Shortly after the jibe back to starboard the wind dropped from what had been a good ten knots down to 7 & 8 nearly the remainder of the run.  
-------

Race 2
Winds: WSW (255), avg 8 kts, 3-12 kts, gusts 14, lulls 3
Weather: Hazy, Temp 85 F;
Current: flood - North Hill 1015
Start/Finish: just West of Horseshoe
Course: s/f–WM–LM-s/f *2; Distance: 5.8 nm
Shrouds: +3,+4,+3

After a forty minute break for lunch, racing commenced again with a new breeze filling in from southwest.  Brian cinched up the shrouds as we thought it may build into the low to mid-teens. With no change in wind direction, we chose the same strategy as in the first race. (And in retrospect, would have faired better leaving the shrouds as they were.)

At the start, I approached again on port against the starboard fleet. As the wind went light short of the pin, and with the current pushing,  we kissed it.  A not so pretty 360 in the lee of the fleet got us going again. Finally settling down on port in clear air we found ourselves in better position than expected. 

The starboard tacks offshore were rougher requiring a bit looser trim and more cunny on the genoa and car back; than the ports paralleling the shore.  Our first round was again tight, though the chute was up without delay, and we again jibed for shore.

It became obvious the fickle wind had returned and we extended shoreward to near Vixen on both downwinds.  I carried her higher than target in the chop and higher yet in the many (inconsiderate) powerboat wakes, in the occasional smooth spots dropping down to target (averaging 166 TWA).  The last run was the worst; as the wind fluctuated between four to eight knots. 

I felt we did better in the first race than the second, when actually we corrected to 2nd in first & to 1st place in the last races for a first overall.  

Link to Race 1 chart
Link to Race 1 chart
Link to Results

Greg's Report
 ---------

Thanks to all the folks that chipped in to assist the SeTherin crew in supporting Hospice!

Go to top