Wind: SW at 8 to 14, average 11 kts
Temp: 76 F, Baro: 30.10”
Current: ebbing North Hill 17:15
Course: sf-DM-s/f*2, 1nm at 220; Race Length: 4 nm
Crew: Brian, Adam, Dan, & RW
The class turnout was small, due to the all-day rain storm I assume. It began to clear some near 4 o’clock though too late for many I assume.
The start area was in the vicinity of the old Mudhead’s “X”, tucked between Horseshoe & Groton Long Point. We decided to favor the left as there appeared to be more wind to the east of the rhumbline. We had a good start on the line and to windward of Cosmic, Zallee & Jolly Mon, with Merganser & Zara trailing. Zallee was the first to tack to port. We followed Jolly Mon, with Cosmic farther out nearly on the layline, if not overstood. Cosmic was first to round the mark, followed by Zallee then Jolly Mon.
After a short starboard jibe following the set, we jibed for a long port to the leeward, for a timely douse. We decided on the right for the next upwind, due to the threat of increasing current. The result was an average COG of 35 degrees off the rhumb versus the 45 to 50 to the left on the first upwind, and was certainly faster by 2 plus minutes. Average tws on first upwind was 11 kts versus 10 on the second. Should we have gone right from the start?
The downwind to the finish was nearly identical to the first.
Wind: SW at 0 to 6, average 3 kts
Temp: 72 F, Baro: 30.16”
Current: last of ebb, flood North Hill 18:45
Course: sf-DM-s/f*2, 1nm at 190 Race Length: 4 nm
Crew: Brian, Dan, Tracy & RW
The RC chose to setup the s/f in the approach to West Harbor between the Flat Hammock nun & the West Clump can. We were running late and it is somewhat father motor than the standard Groton Long Point starting area. As we were approaching the line from a good distance yet, I pulled the fuel line at 6 minutes, the engine quit at 5. Were slightly to starboard of the RC boat, as Brian & Dan stored the motor and Tracy trimmed, we sailed right to the line as the gun went off. Fortunately with the remaining ebb, we were nearest the committee boat in clear air with Sans Souci, Cosmic, and Jolly Mon & Zallee all to leeward towards the pin along the line, Merganser trailing somewhat behind.
Within minute or so of the start, both Cosmic & Sans Souci tacked to port, Cosmic for just a short hitch for clear air, while Sans Souci continued to the right toward Flat Hammock. We continued east trailing Zallee & Jolly Mon towards Clay Point, into the shallows, tacked back out then in again. Maybe flooding there already, there appeared to have been a countervailing current near shore.
Approaching the windward mark, Sans Souci converged from the right and rounded outside of us, pulled slightly ahead to jibe back towards flat Hammock. We continued east as there appeared to be more breeze there, yet Sans Souci rounded the leeward mark slightly ahead & continued again up the west side. Our second windward leg was in much lighter wind, and again a review of the chart shows a header approaching shallows. I surmise on this upwind, there may have been a current boost from the flood alongside the Hammock, giving Sans Souci the edge.
Following a good set we continued out to the east again where we felt the breeze better, with a San Souci going back to the west side of the course. It looked like the wind was stronger ahead, so I maintained a fresh course. We did not think till halfway through the second starboard jibe to edge off the wind to a course less headed by the current and use it to set us toward the rhumbline. On our final port for the finish, we were all down on the leeward side, except for Dan trimming from the companionway. I could not see the finish nor the pin as the sail was in the way. I should have used Brian more for guidance to the pin for the final jibe to cross. As it was, we were swept above the pin & line requiring better part of a minute to cross alongside Quantum Leap.
Wind: SSW at 6 to 12, average 9 kts
Temp: 78 F, Baro: 29.88”
Current: last of flood, ebb North Hill 17:35
Course: sf-N-I-s/f-N-s/f, Race Length: 6.2 nm
Crew: Brian, Adam, Josh & RW
I had hoped to start near the RC, yet due to a last minute sheet issue we ended up nearer the pin, trailing Jolly Mon & Zallee. Jolly Mon had a problem with Liquid Foundation which we were able to able to avoid by falling off some directly after the start.
I miss-calculated the current due to a bad data input to our spreadsheet. Had we anticipated the earlier ebb we may have tucked in on the northeast side of North Dumpling on the first leg as we did on the second upwind.
We had a good rounding and set at North Hill and chose to continue with the spinnaker following the jibe at Intrepid. Some boats were not able to do so. Following a timely douse, we continued on port then a series of tacks to work up the northeast of North Dumpling, then across the channel towards South Dumpling for a close port/starboard encounter with Ticker. After tacking to starboard along the west shore of South Dumpling, we skipped over a couple rocks inside the can prior to tacking for the N2.
Wind: SW at 4 to 8, average 6 kts
Temp: 79 F, Baro: 30.12”
Current: last of ebb, flood North Hill 18:25
Course: sf-DM-s/f*2, Race Length: 4.4 nm
Crew: Brian, Adam, Josh & RW
Dying wind on the last downwind, from an average of 8 kts on the first downwind to 5.5 kts on the last.
Wind: SW at 4 to 9, average 6 kts
Temp: 85 F, Baro: 30.03”
Current: ebbing North Hill 09:10
Course: s/f west of Horseshore, 2 races 200 degrees, 1.2 & 1.3 nm
Crew: Brian, Bob Fagan & RW
Lot of chop, too little wind.
Wind: SW at 4 to 10, average 6 kts
Temp: 72 F, Baro: 30.04”
Current: last of flood, ebb North Hill 18:35
Course: sf-N-I-s/f-N-s/f, Race Length: 6.7 nm
Crew: Brian, Adam, Dan & RW
The RC chose a long course this evening, upwind for a port rounding of the North Hill bell, then a spinnaker reach for a jibe at Intrepid to the s/f then up to North Hill & back. We were the most windward boat at the start near the RC, yet after a couple minutes were forced to tack by Jolly Mon on our lee. After a couple minutes we were back on starboard towards the channel between the Dumplings. We had a good rounding and set for the reach to Intrepid where Brian lowered the pole for the tighter reach to the leeward mark.
On the second upwind we chose to go west of North Dumpling as the wind began to die as did our position in the fleet.
link to chart
We have only a recording of the first leg as the power was accidently turned off a following the first rounding of North Hill.
link to results w/o summer penalties
link to results with summer penalties